How to Have More Fun in Your BusinessAug 08, 2022
From January 2008 to May 2009 I worked as a Deputy Coroner in California. I started the job feeling fired up. I loved the science behind it and enjoyed how I got to provide assistance to families in need and give back to my community. The work was very meaningful, but, unfortunately, no part of it was fun. In fact, it was a draining grind that left me burnt out in less than two years. I remember walking into my Dad’s office one afternoon and telling him “there’s just nothing fun about this.” As the words left my lips, I had a realization: having fun was an integral part of feeling happiness in my life. Fast forward to 2021. As an entrepreneur and coach, I can now honestly say that my work brings me happiness. In fact, it kind of feels like going to a playground for adults everyday. Think I’m full of it? Here’s 5 tips for how to have more fun in your business.
1. Practice Gratitude
“There is no joy without gratitude.” –– Brené Brown
Entrepreneurs have a tendency to focus on the problems in their business, forever asking…what can I improve? Improvement is good. However, it’s easy to fall into the “never enough” trap. Once activated, it’s like you have a giant black hole at the center of your business. No matter how many new clients, or how much your revenue skyrockets, there’s always something better on the horizon. You’re perpetually unsatisfied.
Practicing gratitude for where we are right now is the key to feeling more at peace and happy in our business. Stop and make a mental gratitude list right now of all that you already have. Claim it and celebrate it.
A friend of mine is an incredible manifestation coach. One of her biggest manifestation tricks she uses with clients is gratitude. When you appreciate what you have, rather than focusing on what you lack, you become a beacon to attract more abundance in your life.
2. Reward Yourself
Rewarding yourself for small successes and achievements along the way is gratitude in action. As I mentioned in my previous blog post, The Science of Self-Love, your brain contains a positive feedback loop. The more you reward yourself, the more motivated you feel, and the more you achieve.
When you set goals in your business, practice setting a reward along with the goal. Some of my favorite rewards include:
- A nice meal out at a favorite restaurant
- A relaxing beach day or staycation
- Getting a massage or pedicure
- Purchasing a gift for myself…I do have a thing for crystals!
- Group rewards that I can share with my network or team
3. Love What You Do
“If you love what you do, it isn’t your job, it is your love affair.”
― Debasish Mridha
I truly LOVE my work as a coach. Why? Because it feels like what I was made to do. When I reflect on struggles in my life, it’s clear now that everything happened for a reason – to bring me here. The process wasn’t pretty. It took many years of trial and error, different career paths, years of schooling, and a major health crisis. Fulfillment comes for me out of helping people overcome suffering and problems that are close to my heart.
I think the most important thing to find something you love to do is to continually seek. Keep following the threads. Pay attention to what gets you excited – then take action toward it. The universe responds to action and often opens doors. This article in Forbes by Deena Varshavskaya has some excellent insights on finding your life’s passion.
4. Develop Strong Self-Care Habits
This may be the most important tip for how to have more fun in your business. As mentioned previously, self-love and self-care are scientifically proven to make us healthier, happier, and more successful in all areas of our lives. When you come to work mentally, physically, and emotionally recharged, your whole attitude and outlook is more positive and you’re much more likely to have fun! Here are some self-care practices that help me to show up 100% and enjoy my business:
- Eat well. Pack a nutritious lunch you love, or grab lunch from a favorite eatery. Make a ritual out of meals and take the time to stop working, sit down, and enjoy your food.
- Get sleep. There are mountains of research that confirm at least 6-8 hours of sleep nightly is integral to our health.
- Take time off from work to do things you love, socialize, or relax.
- Practice kind, loving self-talk toward yourself around your business.
- Set boundaries with clients and stick to them.
5. Make Fun a Fundamental Part of Your Organization
Is fun written into your business plan? Research shows that individuals who have fun and are happy at work are more productive, learn more, and are more satisfied in their careers. Shawn Achor, author of the Happiness Advantage, breaks this phenomenon down in his Ted Talk.
What does this mean for you as a business owner? Creating a fun work environment is crucial to employee retention – and that includes you! There are dozens of ways you can incorporate more fun into your work. Here’s a few ideas:
- Sell products or services you’re excited about.
- Enjoy your customers! This can be achieved by developing a detailed profile of your target market and creating barriers to entry to only connect with people who are a good fit.
- Play music you love while you work.
- Do something fun on your break (you do take breaks, right!?)
- Always have something scheduled that you can look forward to.
- Institute a “Motivation Monday” or other positive group activity where your team gathers together to share a positive quote or win from the week.
- Reward yourself and your team for work well done regularly! Shared rewards are sweeter.
Curious to learn more ways you can have more fun in your business? I’d love to help you brainstorm ideas. Book a free business strategy session with me!
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.